Huawei says will continue support for smartphones and tablets
Huawei said it would continue to provide security updates and services for its smartphones and tablets after Google said it would comply with an order barring the Chinese company from updates to its Android operating system.
"We have made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world," a spokesman said on Monday (May 20).
"Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.
"We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally," he added.
The Chinese company's comments were in response to Google's restrictions on Android updates to the world's second-biggest smartphone maker.
This came after US President Donald Trump last week added Huawei to a trade blacklist, making it extremely difficult for it to do business with US counterparts.
"We are complying with the order and reviewing the implications," a Google spokesman said.
A source told Reuters: "Huawei will only be able to use the public version of Android and will not be able to get access to proprietary apps and services from Google."
Huawei's devices in its home market do not have Google apps, but the move will hugely damage the brand's appeal to consumers outside China.
Almost half of the 208 million phones Huawei shipped in 2018 went to outside mainland China, and Europe is the most important overseas market where its devices currently have 29 per cent market share, according to technology research firm IDC.